Exhibit Open House & Return to Sender Workshop
Meet xtine burrough and Sabrina Starnaman and join in for a free workshop.
Wednesday, March 14, 2018
Library Reading Room, 5th floor
In this hour and a half workshop, participants will:
- Understand connections between nineteenth-century texts and art that sought to raise awareness and impact legislation for unregulated work and draw parallels to Return to Sender and the need for twenty-first century public awareness and regulation for crowdsourced labor.
- Describe what digital labor is and the unique challenges of the crowdsourced production of goods and services.
- Learn the present state of invisible crowd workers in the sharing economy.
- Create artifacts that represent the disembodied crowd worker for use in an activist event and explain how this is a present day analog to historical labor strikes, which were conducted by laborer and citizen-activist alike.
- Analyze how their own bodies may be sites of labor or how their bodies participate in 21st century labor.
- Participate in an ongoing art project in dialog with Mechanical Turk workers
- Make their own “Hired Hand” to keep or send as mail art