- Stages of Development. Open Stax text. This text describes:
- the stages of prenatal development and the importance of prenatal care;
- physical, cognitive, and emotional development that occurs from infancy through childhood;
- physical, cognitive, and emotional development that occurs during adolescence;
- and physical, cognitive, and emotional development that occurs in adulthood.
Open Textbook Collections
A compilation of Ted Talks on a range of human development topics from premier specialists.
- Search YouTube by keyterms and try filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license (these videos are specifically labeled for reuse).
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- Select “Books & More” tab and use these limits: Full Text Available Online and Audio Visual.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leave at least 1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
Ebooks in the Library
The CSUSM University Library has an extensive collection of ebooks on a variety of topics. To find what’s available:
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords and search
- Use the limiters on the left to narrow by “Full Text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit by “Books” to filter out journals and media
Human Development Ebooks – CSUSM Library
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our human development databases for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).
This page provides examples illustrating how to find permalinks in the Library’s databases.
Please contact your librarian if you are still unsure of how to find the permalink.
Other CSUSM Library Resources
More information about finding and using library resources can be found on the Human Development Research Guide.
Have a good idea for a free resource? Tell us about it! Email your subject specialist.
Other Open Educational Resources