- Teaching in a Digital Age (2017) by A.W. (Tony) Bates | Merlot II
- “The book examines the underlying principles that guide effective teaching in an age when all of us, and in particular the students we teach, use technology. A framework for making decisions about your teaching is provided, while understanding that every subject is different, and every instructor has something unique and special to bring to their teaching.The book enables teachers and instructors to help students develop the knowledge and skills they will need in a digital age: not so much the IT skills, but the thinking and attitudes to learning that will bring them success.” (Source: Merlot II)
- Introduction to Piaget: The Father of Pedagogy (2013) by Rick Lumadue, PhD and Rusty Waller, PhD | Merlot II
- “This is the first volume in a series on Andragogy and Pedagogy. Introduction to Piaget: The Father of Pedagogy describes not only the historical impact of Piaget’s theory on education but also provides a step by step guide explaining Piaget’s major concepts. A narrative, along with videos and charts are included. The video presentations will be especially helpful for guiding the learner through the process of mastering Piaget’s Developmental Theory.” (Source: Merlot II)
- Current Topics in Children’s Learning and Cognition (2012) Eds. by H Kloos, B. J. Morris, J.R. Amaral | InTech
- “[T]he essays in this book address theoretical and empirical issues related to children’s learning and cognition.” Source: InTech
Open Textbook Collections
- Cool 4 Ed
- Khan Academy
- InTech – Open Access Publisher
- Open Textbook Library
- Community College Consortium for Open Educational Resources – Search for Textbooks by subject
- OpenStax CNX – browse for books, or use the Advanced search
- College Open Textbooks – search for textbooks
- Merlot II – Change the source dropdown to open (access) textbooks
- Search YouTube by key terms and filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license. It is important to understand copyright on YouTube before you use videos from this site.
- List of some creative commons education videos:
- YouTube-produced “CrashCourse” series
- Common Core
- English Language Learners
- Literacy in the Classroom
- Mathematics in Education
- Next Generation Science Standards
- Special Education
- Tip: try searching YouTube by the title of your favorite journal publication to see if that journal also produces a YouTube channel.
- TED Talks – Education / Teaching / Student / Topic Search: Ted Talks
- A collection of TED Talks and playlists on Education and related topics.
- Khan Academy
- lecture videos from 1-30 minutes in length
- Edutopia: Education Video Library
Videos about K-12 teaching methods and strategies from the George Lucas Educational Foundation.
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- 1. Choose “Books and More”
- 2. Enter keywords and search
- 3. Use the limiters to narrow by “Full-text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- 4. Limit by “Audio Visual” to filter out journals and books
- Kanopy Video Library provides streaming on-demand access to thousands of documentaries, feature and independent films, and training videos. Licensing partners include The Great Courses, California Newsreel, PBS, Media Education Foundation, Documentary Educational Resources, and others. *Must use CSUSM login to access this database.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leave at least 1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
Ebooks in the Library
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords and search
- Use the limiters to narrow by “Full-text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit by “Books” to filter out journals and media
E-Book Databases at CSUSM Library
ProQuest Ebook Central: Formerly ebrary, this database provides authoritative, full-text e-books in a wide range of subject areas along with powerful tools to find, use, and manage the information. Must use CSUSM login to access from off campus.
eBook Collection (Ebsco Host): This database provides access to a full text collection of over 4,000 e-book titles covering a wide-range of subject areas.
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our Education databases for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).
Please contact your librarian if you are unsure of how to find the permalink.
- Utah State OpenCourseWare – Education:
- “Utah State OpenCourseWare is a collection of educational material used in our formal campus courses, and seeks to provide people around the world with an opportunity to access high quality learning opportunities.” (Source: Home Utha State OCW).
- MIT OpenCourseWare:
- “MIT OpenCourseWare (OCW) is a web-based publication of virtually all MIT course content. OCW is open and available to the world and is a permanent MIT activity.” (Source: About MIT OCW)
- Merlot II – Education:
- Merlot provides easy access to almost 5000 Free Online Courses. Simply click on a major topic heading and you can browse through the MERLOT collection of Free Online Courses. (Source: Merlot II)
- Early Education and Care: Core Competencies
- First Year Teacher Program
- The Learning Classroom: Theory into Practice
- IRIS Resource Locator – Behavior Management (click on modules)