- Dance: A Very Social History by Carol McD. Wallace (1986)
- A History of Dancing by Reginald St.-Johnson (1906)
Open Textbook Collections
- Search YouTube by keyterms and try filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license (these videos are specifically labeled for reuse).
- Tip: try searching YouTube by the title of your favorite dance company to see if it has its own YouTube channel.
- TED Talks – Art / Creativity / Culture / Dance / Entertainment / Performance / Performance Art / Social Change / Theatre / World Cultures
- A collection of TED Talks and playlists on Performance and related topics.
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- Select “Books & More” tab and use these limits: Full Text Available Online and Audio Visual.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leave at least 1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
Ebooks in the Library
The CSUSM University Library has an extensive collection of ebooks on a variety of topics. To find what’s available:
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords and search
- Use the limiters to narrow by “Full Text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit to Resource Type “Books” to filter out journals and media
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our dance databases for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).
This page provides examples illustrating how to find permalinks in the Library’s databases.
Please contact your librarian if you are still unsure of how to find the permalink.
Searchable by found discipline and academic level, this site provides a broad range of instructional materials, including texts, images, videos, primary sources and more.
Other Open Educational Resources
- Dance Heritage Treasures
America’s Irreplaceable Dance Treasures: provides information on the full range of American dance artistry, forms, and traditions. Includes some videos.
- Contemporary dance
- American Ballet Theatre Dictionary
- Dance Notation
- YouTube Education
Videos of various lengths featuring of a variety of lecturers and topics.
Other CSUSM Library Resources
More information about finding and using library resources can be found on the Visual and Performing Arts research guide.
Have a good idea for a free resource? Tell us about it! Email your subject specialist.