- Boundless – Physics
An open textbook on a variety of introductory physics topics.
- OpenStax Physics
Free PDF introductory book for a two-semester college physics course.
Open Textbook Collections
- Search YouTube by keyterms and try filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license (these videos are specifically labeled for reuse).
- Some good channels:
- Tip: try searching YouTube by the title of your favorite journal publication to see if that journal also produces a YouTube channel.
- TED Talks – Astronomy / Engineering / Physics / Planets / Robots / Space / String Theory
- A collection of TED Talks and playlists on Physics and related topics.
- Khan Academy
- lecture videos from 1-30 minutes in length
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- Try changing up keywords based on your specific interest/topic. Limits used: Full Text Available Online and Audio Visual.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leave at least 1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
Ebooks in the Library
The CSUSM University Library has an extensive collection of ebooks on a variety of topics. To find what’s available:
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords and search
- Use the limiters to narrow by “Full Text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit by “Books” to filter out journals and media
Physics Ebooks – CSUSM Library (optional: update after June 30, 2017)
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our physics databases for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).
This page provides examples illustrating how to find permalinks in the Library’s databases.
Please contact your librarian if you are still unsure of how to find the permalink.
- MIT Open Courseware – Physics
An extensive collection of undergraduate-level courses on physics topics.
Other Open Educational Resources
Physics Interactive Simulations
Collection of simulations provided by the University of Colorado Boulder.
- Astronomy Image Explorer
Access to images published in peer-reviewed journals.
- ComPADRE Digital Library
Network of free online resource collections supported by faculty, students, and teachers in Physics and Astronomy Education.