Open Textbook Collections
- Ebooks Directory
- Searchable by keyword or topic.
- A collection of millions of titles digitized from libraries around the world, including many of the great philosophy texts.
- Project Gutenberg
- Project Gutenberg offers thousands of free ebooks. Books can be searched by title or by category.
- Open Library searches a variety of sources for print and online books. Many ebooks are freely available for online reading or download.
- Search YouTube by keyterms and try filtering by channel or “Creative Commons” license (these videos are specifically labeled for reuse).
- Tip: try searching YouTube by the title of your favorite journal publication to see if that journal also produces a YouTube channel.
- TED Talks – Language / TED en Español / World Cultures
- A collection of TED Talks and playlists on Language and related topics. Try searching the TED site for videos in various languages.
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- Select “Books & More” tab and use these limits: Full Text Available Online and Audio Visual.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leaveÂ at leastÂ 1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
Ebooks in the Library
The CSUSM University Library has an extensive collection of ebooks on a variety of topics. To find what’s available:
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords and search
- Use the limiters to narrow by “Full Text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit by “Books” to filter out journals and media
- Filter by language
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our Modern Languages database collection for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).
- MERLOT World Languages
- OER Commons
Searchable by discipline and academic level, this site provides a broad range of instructional materials, including texts, images, videos, primary sources and more.
- BBC Languages
- Language Lessons, via Open Culture list of free online courses
- The University of Texas at Austin Linguistics Research Center provides a number of free resources related to Indo-European languages, a category that includes Latin and Greek as well as Spanish and English.