- An Introduction to Sociology 2e | Source: OpenStax CNX
- Sociological Landscape – Theories, Reality, Trends | Dennis Erasga ed. | Source:InTech – Open Access
- The Meaning of a Crime – Source: College Open Textbooks
- Principles of Sociological Inquiry – Qualitative and Quantitative Methods | Source: Saylor Foundation
Open Textbook Collections
- TED Talks – Community / Crime / Criminal Justice / Culture / Prison / Sociology / Social Change
- A collection of TED Talks and playlists on Sociology and related topics.
- Videos through the CSUSM Library
- Select “Books & More” tab and use these limits: Full Text Available Online and Audio Visual.
- Library Media Reserves, including Video on Demand option (allows you to stream videos to CSUSM students). Keep in mind that you should leave at least,1 week of lead time for processing these requests.
Ebooks in the Library
The CSUSM University Library has an extensive collection of ebooks on a variety of topics. To find what’s available:
- Go to the University Library homepage
- Choose “Books and More”
- Enter keywords and search
- Use the limiters to narrow by “Full Text Online” to ensure all results can be accessed directly from your computer
- Limit by “Books” to filter out journals and media
Sociology Ebooks – CSUSM Library
Consider including journal articles as required or supplemental reading for your courses. Search through our Sociology databases for articles. Just be sure to direct students to the article by permalink (or static URL) rather than posting the PDF directly in your Cougar Course. This will ensure two things: 1) that we are complying with copyright and publisher restrictions, and 2) that our journal usage is counted (this allows us to justify maintaining our subscriptions).
- Open Yale Courses
- MIT Open Courseware
- Saylor free education: Introduction to Sociology course – Saylor provides the student with access to information on the topic of Sociology; outlining the history, the definition, and theoretical perspectives.
- Free Online College Courses – On Academic Earth are several different sociology courses using MIT OpenCourseWare and provided by UCLA, MIT, and the University of Notre Dame just to name a few, each covering different aspects of sociology. Also has a list of University lectures and videos.
- Merlot – Sociology Portal